We encourage people to follow these important proper handling and safety tips when it comes to balloons:
• Never release a balloon outdoors!
• Helium-filled balloons always need to be weighted.
• Don’t tie helium-filled foil balloons together in a cluster before tying to a weight. Be sure they are all individually secured to the weight.
• Never tie a metallic ribbon to a helium-filled foil balloon.
• Call the power company if you see balloons entangled in power lines.
• Properly dispose of balloons in a trash (or recycling!) bin after deflating.
• Whether it’s a single balloon or hundreds, take care of the environment by not releasing balloons, by always disposing of them properly and by educating family and friends of these important practices.
Dispose Of Balloons Properly
Finished enjoying balloons? Dispose of properly by popping each balloon with a pin or scissors and placing in a trash receptacle. Because latex balloons are biodegradable, they can actually be composted! If you have a compost pile or a composting facility near you, this is a great way to dispose of latex balloons.
Recycle Your Balloon Waste
These tips help you manage the balloon waste after your event. But don’t stop there! Companies like TerraCycle offer programs to recycle all of your post-party supplies, not just balloons. With your help, we can create a cleaner world after all of life’s celebrations.